[arch-dev-public] Let's use the Maintainer tag

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sat Sep 20 17:35:08 EDT 2008

Hey devs,

I think our current method of organizing maintainership of packages is not
optimal. One problem is that we loose those meta information from time to time
(we have 2667 orphaned packages atm). Also the webinterface for adopting
packages is not the best solution I could think of. You have to adopt every
single arch and if you put a package into testing you'll have to adopt it
again.

On the other side we have the Maintainer tag within our PKGBUILDs since a long
time, but we don't make use of it. My idea would be parsing those tags
(multipile maintainers should be possible) with makepkg and put those
information in every package. In addition to this repo-add should store this
data in the db-files, too.

That would make things a lot easier, more robust (we have all data stored in
svn) and consistent. This would also decrease the complexity of the
webfrontend a lot; it allready reads data from the sync-dbs.

And last but not least support could be added to pacman to display the
mainter(s). ATM it only shows the packager which confuses some people.

Pierre

--

Pierre Schmitz

Clemens-August-Straße 76