[arch-dev-public] [Feature Request] add -g option for cp and mv

Andrea Scarpino bash.lnx at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 09:08:40 EDT 2008

2008/9/28 Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com>:
> You risk to be flamed. ;-)
I know, I know :P
> I doubt most devs will agree about this due to
> "stay as close to vanilla as possible, with bugfixes only" policy.
> This patch is just an extra feature, not merged by upstream.
> And there are more generic ways to add progressbars to console utils.
> For example:
> bar - http://www.theiling.de/projects/bar.html
> pv - http://www.ivarch.com/programs/pv.shtml
> both are in community, and I saw 2 or 3 other similar utils somewhere
> on the web.
I didn't know they. I'll try them, thanks.

btw, I looked comments in the bug report.
Daenyth have persuaded me to keep the patch out from arch with these words:

"Let's keep things minimal, I'm pretty sure the stated policy is to
only patch when a major feature is broken, or if it needs patches to
work with arch, and not to add new features"

Thanks for your time

Cheers

--
Andrea `BaSh` Scarpino