[arch-dev-public] Package Colours - better visual information

Dusty Phillips buchuki at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 14:03:25 EDT 2008

2008/9/29 Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 9:23 PM, Giovanni Scafora <linuxmania at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2008/9/28, Jud <jud at judfilm.net>:
>>> I had an idea to improve the information provided to the user and
>>>  indicate a clearer picture of the status of a Package via the website.
>>>
>>>  Package Colours - 6 Major states of a Package
>>>  -----------------------------------------------
>>>  Black - latest version, all ok
>>>
>>>  Blue - latest version, bug report(s) outstanding
>>>
>>>  Red - out-of-date
>>>
>>>  Yellow - out-of-date, new package in Testing
>>>
>>>  Orange - out-of-date, new package in Testing, bug report(s) outstanding
>>>
>>>  Purple/Magenta - out-of-date, bug report(s) outstanding
>>
>> It would be a good idea.
>> +1
>
> It's a nice idea, but the "outstanding bugs" part would be difficult
> for us, as Flyspray is not integrated into the system...
> I'm sure we could do the "outdated, new package in testing" part
> though. Dusty? Would this be a lot of work?

Excepting the flyspray integration it shouldn't be too much work to do
it hackishly, but to do it properly would be a bit of a chore.
Currently there isn't much of a connection between packages in core
and packages in testing, since testing is just another repo. My head
keeps bouncing around ideas for redesigning the web package models to
support more of a 'workflow' style that would support this and some of
Jud's other ideas more intuitively, but right now I need to find some
way to get the time for this.

I'm also getting fired up about creating a new bug tracker that
integrates with the package system that would make some of this other
stuff more trivial. I don't much like flyspray and this would be a
good start for some of my other plans. But again, I need to rearrange
my life so I can take more time for these things first.

In the meantime, Jud, can you file a bug report for this so I don't
forget it. My memory is getting shorter and shorter these days.

Dusty