[arch-dev-public] nano -w (was: Re: [signoff] nano 2.0.8-1)

Eduardo Romero k3nsai at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 15:05:21 EDT 2008

Andreas Radke wrote:
> Am Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:42:37 -0500
> schrieb "Aaron Griffin" <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:
>

>> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Roman Kyrylych
>> <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I've just closed it as a duplicate of
>>> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11290 but still the proper fix would
>>> be to use nano -w in installer instead of disabling -w in nano, IMO.
>>>
>> Or maybe we should use "wrap" in the default nanorc?
>>

> woohoo. such a small editor making so much noise with only one option.
>
> i prefer to not touch the upstream nanorc we install. after many
> requests i followed Fedora and many other major distributions and
> disabled the line wrapping completely via configure.
>
> i don't know any good situation when line wrapping is useful expect in
> writing mails. but who is using nano for that task? (i guess alpine
> users go with pico).
>
> so why do some people want that wrapping back?
>
> i think a small note about no line wrapping in our installer when it
> shows the choise for vi/nano is much more than needed.
>
> -Andy

Sorry, I didn't see this email by the time I replied to the other. But
well, is simple, why take functionality from a package? We are supposed
to be as close to upstream as possible, and well, some users do use the
feature, we cannot conclude nobody use the feature. You know users of
all kinds can have weird uses for common applications. Not that this
nano usage is weird, but you get it. Using nano -w in the installer was
the recommended procedure by the original bug reporter.