[arch-dev-public] new package: xf86-video-intel-legacy

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Mon Apr 6 17:11:59 EDT 2009

Jan de Groot wrote:
> Hello Intel users,
>
> There's a new package in testing (x86_64 only at this moment, i686 will
> follow later today) called "xf86-video-intel-legacy". This is the old
> 2.3.2 driver, patched to support xorg-server 1.6 and newer versions of
> libdrm.
> Users with pre-G965 hardware who suffer from performance issues with the
> current -intel driver should test this release. Note that this driver is
> rather old and doesn't contain support for all the new hardware around
> these days. G965+ users should be better off with the normal intel
> driver.
> I hope this driver can replace the need for the old i915 repository
> maintained by a community member. If this is the case, expect
> xorg-server 1.6 to be moving to extra soon.

Legacy packages works well here (Intel 945GM).  My chromuim-bsu FPS went
from 10 to 50 and extreme tux racer is smooth. Note that with sticking
to the "new" intel driver, I got a boost from 5 to 10FPS with the new
builds put in i686 last night.  Have not tried playing video full screen
at my TVs native resolution yet (which was my other problem).

Allan