[arch-dev-public] Nautilus extension for packages

K. Piche kpiche at rogers.com
Mon Apr 20 22:38:41 EDT 2009

Hey everyone,

For fun I hacked together a Nautilus extension to add an extra file
property page for pacman packages.  I've got a binary package cleverly
called nautilus-pacman available at
http://kpiche.archlinux.ca/repo/nautilus-pacman-0.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz or
use my repo:

[kpiche]
Server = http://kpiche.archlinux.ca/repo

The package also adds a mime type and a mime type icon.  Install then
logout & login or run 'nautilus -q'.

No source yet as I wish to scan for embarrassments first.  :)

Some notes and things I found out:
- It's not amazingly useful since most of us probably use the CLI and
don't manage packages with a file manager.  Could add some "Install"
context menus later perhaps.
- The property page is ugly, sorry.  not sure the best way to display
the other package attributes just yet
- No i18n
- The extra mime bits are not tied to Nautilus and should be in a
general package
- libalpm could use a pkgconfig file for use in autoconf.
- You can't initialize, release, then initialize the library in the same
instance of a program.  Took a while to find those SIG11's.
- Curious if we have a logo that would look better as an icon, maybe an
outline?

Later,

K. Piche <kpiche at rogers.com>