[arch-dev-public] gcc-4.4.0 toolchain rebuild with query about gcc-gcj and related packages

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sat Apr 25 07:15:08 EDT 2009

Hi all,

The gcc-4.4.0 toolchain rebuild is now in [testing].  Here is a rough
ChangeLog:

kernel-headers:
  - upstream updated (2.6.29.1)

glibc:
  - update cvs snapshot from 2.9 branch
  - removed glibc-2.5-localedef_segfault-1.patch (old and appears fixed
upstream)
  - removed glibc-2.7-bz4781.patch (rejected upstream as bug in gcc -
Andy: please check if your issue is solved)
  - compress info pages
  - fix info page handling in install script

binutils:
  - update cvs snapshot from 2.19 branch
  - remove texinfo dep through install script
  - add upstream patch to improve -Wl,--as-needed usage
  - add linker scripts for libbfd.so and libopcodes.so
  - compress info pages

gcc-libs
  - new makedepends (ppl and cloog-ppl)
  - removed unneeded bison build patch
  - removed treelang (done upstream)

gcc
  - removals as in gcc-libs
  - added dependencies on new packages ppl and cloog-ppl (for graphite
optimizations)
  - update libstdc++ man pages
  - install license exception
  - compress info pages

I am having great difficultly getting a working gcc-gcj...  It builds
fine using the gcc-gcj-4.3.x package but when I rebuild eclipse-ecj with
the freshly built 4.4.0 package, I can not rebuild gcc-gcj again.
Updating eclipse-ecj to the latest build does not fix the issue.  After
two and a half days of trying to track this down, I am ready to give
up.  If someone else wants to look at this, go ahead but...

Do we really need gcc-gcj, eclipse-ecj and java-gcj-compat any more?
Reason I see for removing it:
 - I can't get it to build
 - java-gcj-compat provides java-runtime, but I checked six packages in
the repos against this and none actually fully worked
 - which also is very bad as it is the first package found by pacman for
java-runtime
 - we have a free java now in openjdk6

Opinions?

Allan