[arch-dev-public] [arch-commits] Commit in htdig/trunk (PKGBUILD)

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sat Apr 25 11:31:43 EDT 2009

Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Am Samstag, 25. April 2009 16:29:03 schrieb Giovanni Scafora:
>
>> ln -s /srv/http/cgi-bin/htsearch ${pkgdir}/usr/bin || return 1
>>

> I thnik it should be the other way round. Imho no package should install
> anything into /srv.
>
> What do you guys think about this?

FHS says:

/srv contains site-specific data which is served by this system.

This main purpose of specifying this is so that users may find the
location of the data files for particular service, and so that services
which require a single tree for readonly data, writable data and scripts
(such as cgi scripts) can be reasonably placed. Data that is only of
interest to a specific user should go in that users' home directory.

So a cgi script seems fine...  I would tend to agree that /srv should be
installed into by a package.  But I don't deal with the type of package
which may want to use /srv so my opinion should be down-weighted
accordingly.

Allan