[arch-dev-public] util-linux, e2fsprogs: libuuid, libblkid. What is best to do?

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sat Aug 1 06:52:09 EDT 2009

I'm looking at updating hal, which needs the new libblkid that is
included in util-linux. This library replaces the one inside e2fsprogs.
Now we have some nice dependency loop:

e2fsprogs contains libuuid
e2fsprogs depends on libblkid
libblkid depends on libuuid (optional, but default)

This can end up with some solutions:
1. build libblkid without libuuid support
2. build libuuid standalone, make util-linux depend on it and make
e2fsprogs depend on util-linux
3. Link libblkid static inside the tools and don't install the libraries
4. create a dependency loop

I think option 4 is completely wrong. Option 3 should work, but sounds
wrong also. Especially when you keep in mind that the lib inside
e2fsprogs won't see any maintenance. Option 2 is the cleanest, Option 1
is less work, but I don't know what limitations we get by doing so.

Any opinions?