[arch-dev-public] news item draft: /dev layout cleanup

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sat Aug 1 08:33:28 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Getting around to this again....

[draft]
/dev layour cleanup

The /dev layout has been cleaned up to comply to the device names
specified in the Linux kernel documentation. We had some legacy left
from our devfs days, which has now been removed.

The most obvious change from a users perspective is the vc/*->tty*
transition.  The initscripts-2007.08 update requires adjusting the
/etc/inittab file to refer to tty* instead of vc/*.  Due to severe
system breakages if this file is not updated, this change will be
automatically handled by pacman.  The original /etc/inittab file is
saved as /etc/inittab.pacsave.  To be clear:

package /etc/inittab -> inittab.pacnew (if needed)
system /etc/inittab -> inittab.pacsave
system /etc/inittab --sed--> inittab

Make sure to check these files after the update and do any merging that
is required.
[/draft]

Finally, are we going to do a quick update to initscripts and filesystem
before this is moved? There have been a few patches push to get for
these.  I can do that tomorrow if people agree?

Allan