[arch-dev-public] [draft] KDE 4.3: packaged and split

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Mon Aug 3 16:47:19 EDT 2009

Am Montag 03 August 2009 22:41:51 schrieb Aaron Griffin:
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Pierre Schmitz<pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> > This is a draft for a little announcement about the KDE 4.3 packaging
> > changes. If nobody complains I'd like to put this online quite soon.
>
> All seems good from here. I just want to make sure: This is a fairly
> seemless upgrade path, correct? Users don't have to do any crazy
> hoop-jumping, do they?

That's right; due to the use of meta packages users just have to hit enter
when pacman asks to replace packages. The pacakges themself are more or less
well tested.

> Only one issue in your announcement text:
> > * You can remove the meta packages and the sub packages you don't need
> > after the update.
>
> I'm not sure what this means.... can you clarify / expand on it?

I can just remvoe this; I hope this is explained in the wiki article. It just
means that during the update the former monolith package will be replaced by
several small ones which could be removed selevtively.

--

Pierre Schmitz, http://users.archlinux.de/~pierre