[arch-dev-public] [arch-general] [signoff] udev-145-1

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 15:40:27 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Jan de Groot<jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 14:33 -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
>> >
>> > We cannot wait for every single provider to catch up; so why do this with this
>> > one here? We don't support keeping old versions of packages while updating all
>> > others; and that's what we have here in the end.
>>
>> I agree with Pierre here. Even though I do have a slice, management of
>> that slice is _my_ job. I've already attempted (and failed) the
>> upgrade, so am aware of the problem. Adding udev to IgnorePkg isn't
>> too hard, and that's kinda what it's made for
>
> The new udev will be a dependency for things like devicekit-power and
> devicekit-disks, but since those are things for the desktop stack, I
> don't see reason to have it on a slicehost server.
>
> BTW: Did anyone actually try to run this version of udev on an older
> kernel?

Yeah, I tried it on my slice and it failed miserably. Posted this in
another thread about this:

(signalfd man page has sample code)
agriffin at snarf:~$ man signalfd
agriffin at snarf:~$ vim signalfd_demo.c
agriffin at snarf:~$ gcc signalfd_demo.c -o signalfd_demo
agriffin at snarf:~$ ./signalfd_demo
signalfd: Function not implemented

agriffin at snarf:~$ uname -a
Linux snarf 2.6.24-24-xen #1 SMP Tue Jun 30 21:53:02 UTC 2009 x86_64
Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2212 HE AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux