[arch-dev-public] To the developers that went to froscon 09

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 16:03:56 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 21:18, Eduardo Romero<k3nsai at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I know some of you went to froscon, and did enjoyed the experience a lot. I am
> here asking, if any of you developers could write a text about froscon, the
> experience, who you met, and how it all went overall. Nothing too fancy, it
> will in fact feature as an article in the Arch Linux Magazine, it would be
> appreciated if you could have some photos as well. Contact me if you are able
> to take on it.
>
> Preferably a developer, but in the event that no developer can get to it, a
> trusted user could do.
>
> Thanks for your interest as always,

Hi!
I'm in 404 Hostel (fun name :P) in Köln (Cologne) at the moment
(BTW it's probably one of the best in the world, I can already recommend it).

>From my point of view the event was awesome!
First of all - I finally managed to get there
(and even convinced my company to cover the cost of plane tickets :-P)
though the road from Dortmund to a hostel in Bonn,
and from Sankt Augustin to the hostel in Köln was a jorney.

We spent really nice time there both during the day
and during "social event" (I leave it to the other devs
to say something about the horilka (vodka)! :-P).

We did some talks about Arch for the visitors of our booth
(especially Thomas who spent quite alot of time on that),
helped to install Arch on several visitors' laptops,
communicated with people from other projects
(I discovered one young but very interesting project
that I may even contribute to, as soon as I really try it),
gave away FrOSCon Edition CDs (at the very end
I even had to give out one of two CDs I left for myself).

I've even managed to visit two English-language talks.
I and Dieter had not easy time among >95% German-speaking people,
but most people spoke English well as soon as you told them
that you're one of the few people here that don't understand Gernan. :-)

Visiting other projects' booths was very interesting for me,
I had some nice talks and shared addresses with some people.
And during the "social event" we had quite long talks
about everything util late night.

I got a collection of CDs/DVDs with FreeBSD, NetBSD
and OpenSolaris for installing in VirtualBox for testing
my pet project on different platforms.

I also made some photos which I will upload somewhere
tomorrow in the evening (don't have much time and energy now).

To summarize - that was very well spent two days,
with lots of activity, communications  and feedback.

I'm looking forward for the next event, be it FrOSCon
or some other FOSS conference where we can be present.

Oh, and we really must do ArchCon somewhere
during the next Summer. ;-)

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)