[arch-dev-public] To the developers that went to froscon 09

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Mon Aug 24 05:22:09 EDT 2009

- I finally met some Arch people woohoo.  Especially meeting my "work partner" Gerhard was something I looked forward too.  It was nice to see that some people drove 4+ hours (dog, Andy & his wife) or even came by plane (Roman)
- Daniel I think you forgot your froscon poster?
- Roman snores a lot, but luckily I had no troubles falling asleep (I did get woken up waay too early, damn you guys ;-)
- There were some interesting talks and booths, but I think fosdem in Belgium is a lot better in this regard.  But it's location is less optimal for most Arch people :( maybe next year?
- free catering and shit was cool.  The krollsh (or whatever it was called) beer deserves it reputation
- a few people also told me they had tried / were using uzbl (my browser project) so that was really cool.
- I had an interesting chat with the author of FAI (a tool to automatically mass-install systems, mostly debian).  I've used it in the past and was somewhat inspired by it when building AIF.
  (but there are a few fundamental conceptual differences, I'm not a wheel-reinventer ;)
- Thomas (if you ever discuss with this guy, expect a 90:10 listen-talk ratio, he has some symptons of hyperactivity ;-) tried aif and found some things that can be improved.  I learned a bit more about the lvm and encryption hooks in   the early userspace, which was really interesting.  I'll be expecting lots of patches now :P

Dieter