[arch-dev-public] introducing kernel26-lts

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 18:36:58 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Thomas Bächler<thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Aaron Griffin schrieb:
>>
>> We can. squashfs-lzma is a significant improvement, but it can't be
>> built out of tree, I don't think (last I checked was a while ago, this
>> may have changed)
>
> It has been discontinued when squashfs was merged into the kernel. Now lzma
> is also merged into the kernel, but neither squashfs nor the squashfs-tools
> support lzma.
>
> I guess OpenWRT has patches for it.

>From a mailing list port:
------
Phillip Lougher Jun 17, 2009

> Since lzma is in kernel 2.6.30 now, is it going to be added into kernel
> 2.6.31 or 2.6.32 merger window?

I started working on LZMA support a couple of days ago.  I'm hoping to
get it finished for the 2.6.31 merge window, though I may miss this.
It depends on whether I hit any problems, and how soon the merge window
closes.
------

So this is on the docket. When it's supported, we'll have more space
to play with. We can also play with the blocksize for squashfs, to see
if it'd make a difference