[arch-dev-public] introducing kernel26-lts

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 18:36:58 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Thomas Bächler<thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Aaron Griffin schrieb:
>> We can. squashfs-lzma is a significant improvement, but it can't be
>> built out of tree, I don't think (last I checked was a while ago, this
>> may have changed)
> It has been discontinued when squashfs was merged into the kernel. Now lzma
> is also merged into the kernel, but neither squashfs nor the squashfs-tools
> support lzma.
> I guess OpenWRT has patches for it.

>From a mailing list port:
Phillip Lougher Jun 17, 2009

> Since lzma is in kernel 2.6.30 now, is it going to be added into kernel
> 2.6.31 or 2.6.32 merger window?

I started working on LZMA support a couple of days ago.  I'm hoping to
get it finished for the 2.6.31 merge window, though I may miss this.
It depends on whether I hit any problems, and how soon the merge window

So this is on the docket. When it's supported, we'll have more space
to play with. We can also play with the blocksize for squashfs, to see
if it'd make a difference