[arch-dev-public] Problem with udev 145?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Aug 28 03:30:56 EDT 2009

I've had a call from a friend whose system wouldn't boot anymore. He has
an on-board SATA controller which is active in the initramfs and several
IDE controller which are only loaded once root is mounted.

He has tons of stuff in /etc/crypttab, I put the IDE drives in there
with UUIDs due to problems with changing drive names. Exactly one of the
many LUKS devices doesn't show up in /dev/disk/by-uuid/ anymore since an
update of initscripts, udev and glibc this week. The other LUKS devices
are still there, exactly that one is missing. cryptsetup displays the
correct UUID and the device can be unlocked fine. It's also completely
reproducible, it's always the same device. I even switched him from ide
drivers to libata drivers (he still had the former in rc.conf) and the
result is the same.

I am lost here, does someone have ideas?