[arch-dev-public] nouveau upgrade failed

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 07:01:17 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 6:33 AM, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
> Nouveau upgrade path was broken for me. It printed out to the screen
> something like "module 'nouveau' not found" while building the new initrd.
> It's not in the pacman.log.
>
> I'm using early kms mode. This probably happens because the new nouveau
> module is not yet present when the kernel is updated and new initrd is
> built.
>
> Maybe we should start to rebuild the initrd from nouveau post.update because
> we recommend early kms mode anyway whenever possible?

Why would you recommend such a thing ? I would rather disrecommend it
to avoid problems.

But it's true that the main problem when using initrd is forgetting to
rebuild it (as you experienced yourself), so having the package do
that automatically might help.. hmm..
What I don't like is forcing a rebuild in all cases, even when nouveau
is not even in the initrd. Is there a good way to detect that ?