[arch-dev-public] Packaging Chromium for [extra]

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Thu Dec 10 18:39:43 EST 2009

Am Mittwoch 09 Dezember 2009 13:47:20 schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
> My idea is to build a tar out of their svn tag and build a clean package
>  with  that.

As there were some objections about this I have put chromium into [testing]
and not straight to [extra]. So we can have a look at it and remove it later
if we conclude that it just sucks. :-)

I kept the package as clean and close to upstream as possible. There is only
one small patch for the build system to disable SSE2 because its not part of
the i686 construction set.

For now there are just svn tags and no released source packages. So the
biggest challenge was to create one myself using their funky build system. As
they include lots of third party stuff the source tar is really big; about
110MB. If you want to create a new one, adjust the pkgrel to some of
http://src.chromium.org/svn/releases/ source the PKGBUILD and run _source.
(downloads lots of stuff; takes about 30min)

I initially wanted to follow their beta branch (e.g. 4.0.249.34) but I
couldn't get it building. So for now we have a development snapshot.
(suggestions are welcome)

For some unknown reason the current package crashes with flash sometimes. Any
ideas? Or maybe it's just me?

Pierre

PS: I think I got the sandbox feature working. So don't be afraid of the suid
binary. That is needed to chroot each browser tab. (otherwise you'll need
selinux or seccomp; the latter didn't really work for me)