[arch-dev-public] Packaging Chromium for [extra]

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sun Dec 13 15:37:24 EST 2009

So, the package is getting better. As you might have noticed I downgraded
from 4.0.267.0 to 4.0.249.30. This is the same version as the official
Chrome beta for Linux. The previous one was just a trunk snapshot. The plan
is to follow the beta branch until a stable version is released.

I also know why the beta did never build for me (that's why I choosed a
snapshot). There was a src branch within the
http://src.chromium.org/svn/releases/4.0.249.30/ dir which confused the
gclient tool. Long story short: it pulled the wrong webkit and other
revsions which did not match the chromium version. It was just luck that
the previous package wirked at all.

I also fixed setting the default browser from within chromium and enabled
h264 codecs etc..

This package should now be ready to be moved to extra. For those who are
unsure about their privacy: See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome#Usage_tracking RLZ, the clientID
and bugtracker thing isn't included in chromium anyway and everything else
can be easily disabled/changed in the optinos menu. Btw: Firefox uses the
exact same services by default.  To underline this: there are no secret
call home functions in this package and you still have full controll over
your data.

Pierre