[arch-dev-public] doc size

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 14:18:06 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Xavier wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I like this gnome feature that warns me about running out of space and
>> proposes me to run a disk usage analyzer (baobab).
>> Looking at the results, I found out that /usr/share/doc was taking a
>> non negligible space : 140M
>> It's actually the 3rd biggest directory in my filesystem after two
>> games (openarena and flightgear). Well maybe 4th if I also count
>> warsow in /opt :)
>>
>> It's especially gtkmm that made me go wtf. It takes 48MB. I checked
>> the package size, 60MB.
>> The next entries are far away, at 10MB, but still. Compared to the
>> package size, they can still be pretty big (more than half).
>> That made me want to check the proportion of docs in each package, and
>> I quickly hacked a script together.
>> I am pretty sure this subject has come here before, but I don't
>> remember seeing any results, so I will post them here.
>> That might help to establish some reasonable limits for when a package
>> should be split. And with makepkg supporting that now, it's much
>> better than before.
>

> Didn't Dan post a patch for namcap to check the relative proportion of docs
> at some stage?

Indeed, that's awesome. Seems I missed or forgot it.
It's actually the only patch that came up after namcap 2.4 so there
hasn't been a new release yet.
http://projects.archlinux.org/namcap.git/

I will try it to compare with my results.
I don't think that makes my results worthless though, I see both tools
as complementary.
Mine allows to quickly see what are the worst packages in your cache
(either in ratio or in docsize), so that they can be treated in
priority.