[arch-dev-public] [signoff] kernel 2.6.32.2-1

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Tue Dec 22 09:59:22 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 09:12 +0100, Andreas Radke wrote:
> I think we need a news item how to fix Radeon kms. What's way you want
> to recommend?
>
> -Andy

First of all, Radeon KMS is not ready for production. Like with the
intel driver, modesetting can be enabled by using radeon.modeset=1 in
the bootflags if KMS is not enabled by default for Radeon.
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y should be disabled.

Next issue is problems with Intel KMS. The 2.6.32 kernel contains
powermanagement features for intel. These new features are utilized by
the driver I uploaded to testing last weekend on hardware that supports
it. However, this causes GPU lockups, requiring a reboot now and then.
This was reverted in 2.6.33, so we should also revert this. A patch has
been posted here:
http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/67768/

This patch is also committed to the drm-intel git tree, maybe it's
easier to fetch the patch from git.kernel.org.

Besides these changes, I haven't seen problems with this new kernel,
everything has been stable for me for a while now. If we change these
two things, I will give a signoff for both architectures.