[arch-dev-public] Xorg changes / DRM modules

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 09:05:35 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:

> Because I'm also affected with my weird X200m card I'm still looking
> for a good solution how to offer a good set of binary packages people
> can use to try modern code. I could do this on my own like all other
> people from AUR but we could also setup an additional unstable repo at
> Gerolde. I could do this also in my public dir. I'd prefer to have
> people using one set of codebase for reporting bugs upstream. What do
> you think?

I like both what JGC and you are proposing :
1) common repositories (core/extra/testing) : only code supported by
upstream. no experimental stuff
2) additional unstable/experimental repository : libdrm with radeon
and nouveau experimental apis, radeon and nouveau drivers built
against that, etc

Note that there are many options for providing experimental code - 2) :
2.0 : additional repo
2.1 : same repos, but different naming : libdrm-experimental, etc
2.2 : dont provide anything, let people use AUR.

It's actually not clear to me which option is better for everyone
(arch users, arch packagers and upstream). But in the end, the result
shouldn't be too different.
Anyway this decision is obviously left to the people doing the work
(jgc/andy/...)