[arch-dev-public] strip is failing on files with permission 444/555

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Wed Dec 30 16:43:42 EST 2009

Am Wed, 30 Dec 2009 15:13:40 -0600
schrieb Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de>
> wrote:
> > After some short tests we found strip failing for any regular user
> > as well inside fakeroot on files with permission 444 or 555:
> >
> > $ cp /lib/libacl.so.1 /tmp/testlib.so; chmod
> > 444 /tmp/testlib.so; /usr/bin/strip /tmp/testlib.so /usr/bin/strip:
> > unable to copy file '/tmp/testlib.so'; reason: Permission denied
> >
> > Dan could confirm this on his system.
>
> That is expected. Both 444 and 555 are missing write permissions, and
> strip re-writes the file.

Yes. But somehow we get files (unwanted?) with such permissions into
our systems. I'm not sure if fakeroot causes this. I have several
files on my system with 444/555 permission that all should have given
my stripping issue. Either stripping worked in the past or whatever
happened lately.

I filed a bug today http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17656

-Andy