[arch-dev-public] what about "ed" now?

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 14:07:22 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
>> I have made a change to the patch package that "ed" is now an optional
>> dependency. I've searched through our svn and all I've found is that no
>> other package depends on ed. I think "ed" is still a widely used *nix
>> editor and you would expect it to be there.
>>

> Just out of curiosity, does anyone here actually use ed? I never used
> it, not even once :)

I've only used it once or twice. It's definitely neat, I'll tell you that.

> Anyway, it's a 100kb package with no deps, and according to you, well
> maintained upstream, so I don't think it's much important where it
> sits.

I say we keep it in core, for now. ed is actually a POSIX required utility.

It appears the standards require registration to view - ugh. The LSB
has a list of POSIX compliant utilities here:
http://refspecs.linux-foundation.org/LSB_3.2.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/command.html
See all commands marked [1]