[arch-dev-public] Official Installation guide needs your help!

Dusty Phillips buchuki at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 15:33:49 EST 2009

2009/2/6 Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:
> Hey guys,
> I wanted to make you aware of the following:
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/13140
>
> The "Official Installation Guide" is severely outdated (the wiki page
> still mentions "i686 optimized").

As one of the two people who was once on Arch's only attempt at an
official documentation team, and as one of several people who
contributed many of the first articles to the wiki, I have this to say
on the topic:

Drop the official install guide.

We know our wiki is well-maintained and well organized, and it seems
to do that by itself without much developer interference. Go wiki!
Originally, when we first set the wiki up Dennis, Judd, and I felt
that the official install guide should be more... well... official.
But its out of date, its always out of date, and there are wiki texts
that are not out of date. Now, seeing how our wiki experiment has
exceeded our hopes and expectations,  I'd say that the install guide
(drop the 'official') should be community maintained as are all our
wiki pages. It will improve. When its time for a release, "somebody
official" should read through it, ensure its accurate, convert it to
plaintext and put it on the iso.

Dusty