[arch-dev-public] Arch mirror tracking woes

Dusty Phillips buchuki at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 18:47:10 EST 2009

2009/1/21 Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 7:37 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Looks good to me. I use a similar approach for the server stats page. Do you
>>> think it would be possible to store those data in the mirrorlist package
>>> somehow?
>>
>> Can you point me to the page you are talking about?
>>
>> And what do you mean by storing it in the mirrorlist package? The
>> intent here is to make the Django DB the canonical source of
>> information that will be disseminated out to each of the places that
>> need it- the downloads page, a mirrors page, and a way to generate the
>> pacman mirrorlist.
>
> Some mostly-complete work on this stuff is on my branches:
> http://code.toofishes.net/gitweb.cgi?p=archweb_dev.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/working
> http://code.toofishes.net/gitweb.cgi?p=archweb_pub.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/working

Hey all,

Sorry for dropping the ball on this one. I've merged Dan's changes and
am in the process of manually adding mirrors. I have entered all the
details into the admin except the rsync IPs. I would appreciate it if
someone would add those manually at some point. Then somebody can
write scripts to automatically generate the rsync whitelist and pacman
mirrorlist from this data. (Or did you do that already, Dan?)

In addition, I had to verify each of the mirrors to check if they have
ISOs. In doing that I discovered some of the mirrors in the current
database are broken. Specifically these ones:

http://mirror.vmmatrix.net/ArchLinux/ (China)
mirrors.jakimowicz.com (France)
ftp://ftp.parrswood.net/Mirrors/ftp.archlinux.org/ (UK)
ftp://saule.mintis.lt/pub/linux/ (Lithuania)

They should be removed from the mirrorlist and rsync whitelist if they
exist there, as I've already removed them from the DB.

I suspect there may be mirrors on the wiki page and/or in the pacman
mirror list that are not in the database. It would be nice to get them
all synced up.

Finally, there are a bunch of unofficial mirrors listed here:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mirrors#Unofficial_mirrors Is
there a reason we shouldn't make some/all of these official?? Some of
them may have been done already.