[arch-dev-public] [arch-general] Official Installation guide needs your help!

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 10:10:55 EST 2009

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 5:59 AM, Tom K <tom at archlinux.org> wrote:
> The name doesn't really matter. IMO anything we include on the official
> ISO becomes official documentation by default. In that context, I
> believe we should retain a simple how-to-install-Arch-core doc, with
> clear direction for users regarding where to go next i.e. the wiki. In
> other words, +1 for Xavier's suggestion in the bug report - a bare-bones
> install guide consisting of revised sections 1-3 and a very brief Pacman
> overview.
>
> I have a problem with the Beginner's Guide as official documentation, as
> I don't believe it gives an accurate first impression of Arch. It is not
> compatible with Arch core principles, IMO, although I accept that it has
> established itself as a useful community-provided resource. I have
> already mentioned these reservations to Misfit, btw.

I also have a bit of an issue with the beginner's guide, as a few
other people seem to have expressed here (Tom and Loui). It is far too
long to be a useful text document at this point and it isn't really an
install document at all but a "setting up everything under the sun"
document.

I understand the benefits behind getting some documentation on the CD,
but I don't think the beginner's guide belongs. There should really be
"official" documentation there that describes the install process and
nothing more. Hopefully someone can step up to the plate and maintain
it.