[arch-dev-public] state and maintainership of man(-db)/man-pages

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Mon Feb 16 11:52:42 EST 2009

I'm the current maintainer of man and man-pages packages. But this
affects also all other packages that install any kind of man-pages:

We have serious issues and some errors reported that are related to
the man package. The current man package has problems with

character encoding:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7477
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9130

and probably with deeper links:
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2009-February/010257.html
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2009-January/010056.html

Is there anybody who wants to take over the maintainance for all man
related stuff? If not I'll do whatever we are going to decide but with
relative low priority.

For the encoding: Fedora does a recoding in almost every spec file. We
could this this similar with a big afford and everybody would have to
take care about it or don't care about it at all. man-db as a man
replacement promises to solve this.
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2008-December/009570.html
and
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2008-December/009581.html

I'm almost for changing to man-db. We would just have to decide how to
update the db. How is this currently done for "man"? In pacman? Could
this be easily changed/added for man-db? If not what would be the
generic proto hook for a post.install call? Has anybody tried the AUR
pkg: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=9343 ?

-Andy