[arch-dev-public] Changing raid/raid-partitions initcpio hooks

Tobias Powalowski t.powa at gmx.de
Wed Feb 18 16:55:26 EST 2009

> Haven't thought too hard on this, but a couple of points:
>
> klibc should have basic raid assembly functionality built it. I was
> under the impression it worked for basic cases. If this is still true
> then we shouldn't replace it, but make sure people are aware the klibc
> one is real basic and the mdadm one is more indepth.
One real problem with basic raid hook i experienced is, if one device fails
and you reboot, it will break during mouting root fs. mdassemble from kinit
doesn't like missing devices, you need to remove them from boot command line.
mdadm is really more tolerable on this.

> The sample code with all those nested calls is real ugly and hard to
> read - readability is always preferred if other people are going to be
> looking at / fixing / working with the code. It'd be nice to break
> that into more lines so that it's easier to understand
Okay i try to make it more clean, problem here is the restricted environment,
You need to crack down every md=0,/dev/xyz,/dev/abc
to ARRAY /dev/md0 devices=/dev/xyz,/dev/abc
I think replace is the only program we have there to do it.

--
Tobias Powalowski
http://www.archlinux.org
tpowa at archlinux.org