[arch-dev-public] [signoff] man-db 2.5.3-2 replacing man

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 16:06:07 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I haven't tried the -2 pkg yet , but I noticed that with man-db I
>>> don't have coloured man pages anymore when using 'less' as the pager.
>>> To get coloured man pages, I need to use 'most' as pager.
>>> Is there anyone else who has this problem? It might be caused by a
>>> lack of a feature in man-db (I can't see why it would be the case) or
>>> a config issue. I haven't spent much time looking it up as it's a
>>> minor thing and works with 'most' although I would prefer 'less'.
>>>
>>> Eric
>>>

>> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9130#comment31955
>>
>> If man-db becomes the default man reader, should we use most as the
>> default pager, or export GROFF_NO_SGR=1 by default?
>>

> I would be better to export GROFF_NO_SGR=1 by default.  'most' is in
> extra so I guess we'll need to move it to core if it's the default
> pager. Most people probably use 'less' as we already have it in core.

Wait a tick....

Use the -c switch to revert to the old behaviour, printing a bold
character c with  the  sequence  `c BACKSPACE c' and an italic
character c by the sequence `_ BACKSPACE c'.  At the same time, color
out-put output put is disabled.  The same effect can be achieved by
setting  either  the  GROFF_NO_SGR  environment variable or using the
`sgr' X command (see below).

GROFF_NO_SGR *disables* color output? Try unsetting all the less
environment vars, maybe it does color on its own?