[arch-dev-public] xorg status (upcoming in testing)

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sun Feb 22 16:43:33 EST 2009

I would like to inform people about the current status of X.Org on
archlinux. At this moment, we have some client libraries and protocol
definitions in extra targeted at xorg-server 1.6 already.
I've been busy with xorg-server 1.5.99.903 today, which is supposed to
be the last release candidate before 1.6 comes out. So far, the
packaging looks good, but there's some nasty side-effects on this
upgrade:

- all input drivers need a rebuild
- all video drivers need a rebuild

Besides these rebuilds, I think we're going to have problems with binary
drivers again. X will refuse to load them, unless you tell it to ignore
ABI mismatches.

I will be pushing xorg-server 1.5.99.903 or 1.6 to testing this week
together with libdrm 2.4.4, mesa 7.3 and a rebuild+update of all free
drivers in our repositories.