[arch-dev-public] Scripting large rebuilds

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 18:28:33 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Aaron Griffin wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Added a new section to the wiki - these changes are in git right now,
>>> not in the current devtools release:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Building_in_a_Clean_Chroot#Alternate_Rebuild_Handling
>>>

>> The -u and -I flag are in git. -i exists now, but I wanted makepkg -i
>> to be usable, so I renamed that one
>>

> It took me a while to figure out why you said the old method dirtied the
> chroot.  IThe way I thought about this is that the packages I rebuilt and
> updated in the chroot are soon going to be the official Arch ones so it will
> self clean eventually.  Anyway, making the chroot is so easy that I just
> make a new one to deal with major rebuilds.

Yeah, I was just thinking that too, but there's always the case where
things might not work and you may need to patch or roll things back or
something. To me it's easier to just "rm -rf <chrootdir>/rw" to clean
it up than to rebuild it 8)

Additionally, even if they do become the official packages, they'll be
in testing for a while and your chroot will be in a weird limbo state
where some of the packages are from testing and some are not.