[arch-dev-public] Move the catalyst drivers from extra to AUR/Community

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Thu Feb 26 12:57:40 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 11:38 -0600, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> Well, I guess what I was saying is: *can* we even fix it? I mean, if
> they release a broken driver, we can't exactly patch some closed
> source blob

I don't think we can fix most problems, but even if we were able to,
licensing does not permit us. One example is the use of /usr/lib64 which
is plain ugly. We can use sed on the binary files to load it
from /usr/lib, but that violates the license because we're not allowed
to distribute altered binaries.

Whatever happens, I'm preparing xorg-server 1.6 this week for testing. I
don't think AMD supports server-1.6 yet, but Nvidia does, so I see no
reason to stick this release in testing as long as we did with
server-1.5.