[arch-dev-public] [signoff] kernel26 2.6.28-2

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon Jan 5 18:53:55 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 00:04 +0100, tobias at justdreams.de wrote:
> Hi guys (especially tpowa and JGC),
>
> the new Kernel has GEM. Shall we try to compile xf86-video-intel-2.5.x
> against it because it makes sense now and see if it creates trouble b4
> we release it to core?
>
> Just a guess.
>
> 	-T

I'm running the 2.6 prerelease series for a while on my laptop now. My
first impressions:
- EXA is even slower than it was with 2.4.3
- UXA is much faster
- XAA not tested
- 3D is horribly slow
- Compiz doesn't draw window decorations due to some breakage in libdrm

If we want to use 2.5.x or 2.6 when it comes out, we have to grab a mesa
snapshot from git master to get GEM support in mesa also.

As xorg-server 1.6 shouldn't be far away anymore, I think we can wait
for the next stable release of mesa that has GEM support.