[arch-dev-public] xmms in extra

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 15:43:59 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:

>>> The makedepends is to build plugins. It was brought up on the ML
>>> before and no-one objected. I maintain xmms in community so I could
>>> easily bring it back in extra. With a usage of 16.34 %, I would say it
>>> has a place in extra.
>>
>> xmms would pull gtk that we wanted to drop from extra.
>
> Well, there is already several packages in extra that depends on gtk.
> Unless we want to remove them all, we have no choice but to keep gtk
> in extra. So putting back xmms in extra won't really affect the gtk
> situation as it will just be another package depending on gtk.  I
> don't see any problems in keeping gtk/glib in extra. FTR, I am
> maintaining them and they are low-maintenance as you would expect.

Considering xmms has such high usage (I still have no idea why), we
would just be pushing around our personal biases to keep it out of
extra. I understand that gtk is crap and we want to get rid of it, but
it seems there's a decent amount of stuff that still depends on it.

I think we have two options here:
* We completely get rid of gtk and all packages which depend on it.
* We allow xmms back into extra

I'm fine with either one, but I do think it'd be silly not to move
xmms to extra based on the usage stats