[arch-dev-public] [signoff] inetutils-1.5-1

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 18:15:38 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> After installing it twice, it returned the telnet binary back to me.
>>>
>>> The package itself is fine, but pacman still deletes files when one
>>> package replaces files from another.
>>>
>>> Works fine on both architectures.
>>>

>> I didn't get as much signoffs as I wanted (Dan signoffed on Jabber)
>> but it's somewhat understandable as this is low-usage tools these
>> days. I presume you  checked at least several clients/servers. Anyhow,
>> I got the required signoff but I'll wait until Sunday before moving it
>> to core and removing the packages it replaces. This will give the rest
>> of the week to test and report problems. BTW, as we'll be replacing
>> server packages, is this worthy of a front page news?
>
> Yeah. All things considered, it's a hefty move, so lets just make the
> public fully aware of it.

I believe it was decided that we will remove netkit-tftp from the
repo. Do we need to add provides/replaces field in tftp-hpa?  The only
reason not to do that would be if users still want to use netkit-tftp.

Announcement draft (assumes that provides/replaces field will be added
to tftp-hpa):
=============
To replace several orphaned netkit packages that were unmaintained
upstream, we just added inetutils-1.6-2 in the [core] repo. This new
package will provide the following network clients/daemons:
ftp/ftpd
rexec/rexecd
rlogin/rlogind
rsh/rshd
talk/talkd
telnet/telnetd
rcp.

It will be replacing the following packages:
core/netkit-telnet
extra/netkit-ftp
extra/netkit-rsh

On a related note, netkit-tftp will be remove from the repo in favor
of tftp-hpa. The inetutils tools can also profide a tftp
client/server. It's currently not included in the inetutils package but
we could provide them in a separate package if there is sufficient
demand for it.  Please update your setting/configs accordingly.