[arch-dev-public] mailman hiccup

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 11:16:42 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 3:47 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Aaron Griffin schrieb:
>>
>> Broke and fixed and broke and fixed mailman tonight. Ignore the goofed
>> commits emails you may have gotten.
>>
>> For documentation purposes, here's what happend:
>>
>> * A few days ago we added a redirect from archlinux.org to
>> www.archlinux.org to address some silly caching issues.\
>
> Out of curiosity: Why? I hate that every site has to have "www" in front of
> it, it's silly. Why don't we just have a redirect from www.archlinux.org to
> archlinux.org?

I'm on your side here, but in all honesty, it's arbitrary. More people
on the bug report were for www than not, and Dan got to it first.

Why I hate "www":
* world wide web... who says that anymore?
* For every other service, people are totally fine with using the
domain name and letting it decide what to do: ssh archlinux.org NOT
ssh ssh.archlinux.org; mailto aaron at archlinux.org NOT mailto
aaron at email.archlinux.org; ping archlinux.org NOT ping
icmp.archlinux.org; I can go on and on and on.

The only benefit I've heard here is relating to using a CNAME for the
website DNS, allowing us to redirect web traffic easier, for downtime
and the like, but that seems minor, and we can always change an A
record too. /me shrugs