[arch-dev-public] phonon: gstreamer support will be dropped

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Thu Jan 22 04:24:06 EST 2009

In short: I have tested several use cases and gstreamer seems not to be
usable. So Id' like to disable support for it in upcoming phonon releases.

My problems with gstreamer:
* graphical glitches when playing some (most) mpeg files
* sometimes no sound
* bad image quality (no deinterlacing?)
* plugins depend on gnome
* it plays some videos with wrong aspect ratio
* does not seem to be a phonon problem; I had the same problems with totem;
using totem-xine fixed those.

So, future versions of phonon will only have the xine-backend enabled. Maybe
I'll provide other backends when we have the ability to split packages.

If you think this is a bad idea, let me know.
--

Pierre Schmitz

Clemens-August-Straße 76
53115 Bonn