[arch-dev-public] [new package] nouveau-drm / xf86-video-nouveau

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Thu Jan 22 15:30:40 EST 2009

Am Thu, 22 Jan 2009 21:11:22 +0100
schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>:

> Andreas Radke schrieb:
> > I haven't seen any problem so far with the module in extra. It
> > has been always loaded first. I can't imagine a situation where the
> > module in extra could cause an issue. You usually use drm only with
> > one graphic card driver.
>
> If you install this package it might happen that a drm driver from
> kernel26 is loaded together with drm.ko from your package, which
> might be incompatible.

This shouldn't happen. People will only install it when they want to
use the nouveau module in their xorg.conf

> To ensure it is loaded first, you must put it in updates/, putting it
> in extra works purely out of coincidence.
>
> > Putting it into extra or update path should be enough here. I'll
> > try to find out what's the recommended/best way we should go.
>
> Put at least drm.ko in extra.

[andyrtr at workstation64 ~]$ pacman -Ql nouveau-drm
nouveau-drm /lib/
nouveau-drm /lib/modules/
nouveau-drm /lib/modules/2.6.28-ARCH/
nouveau-drm /lib/modules/2.6.28-ARCH/extra/
nouveau-drm /lib/modules/2.6.28-ARCH/extra/drm.ko
nouveau-drm /lib/modules/2.6.28-ARCH/kernel/
nouveau-drm /lib/modules/2.6.28-ARCH/kernel/drivers/
nouveau-drm /lib/modules/2.6.28-ARCH/kernel/drivers/video/
nouveau-drm /lib/modules/2.6.28-ARCH/kernel/drivers/video/nouveau.ko
nouveau-drm /usr/
nouveau-drm /usr/include/
nouveau-drm /usr/include/nouveau_drm.h

so you're fine with this?

I couldn't find something about the module load order here
( http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Module-HOWTO/ ) or somewhere else
 so I expect the module to get loaded in alphabetical order:

/lib/modules/2.6.28-ARCH/extra/drm.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.28-ARCH/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko

Not sure if the kernel, Xorg or udev does the loading here.

-Andy