[arch-dev-public] phonon: gstreamer support will be dropped

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 17:05:42 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 13:30 -0600, Aaron Griffin wrote:
>>  So, rant aside, I am not a phonon user, but I support removal of
>> crappy software 8)
>
> Heh, linking each and every possible codec straight in your video player
> makes it really flexible, stable and good. Don't even think about
> possible licensing issues ;)

I've never had a problem with mplayer related to codec issues (most
mplayer problems I've had were video driver related). Conversely, I
had more issues with gstreamer (when using quodlibet, I think) than I
can count. The best part is that the errors are unintelligible...

Re: licensing issues. If someone is serious about ffmpeg/mplayer
related licensing issues, it's fairly easy to build multiple packages.
IIRC ffmpeg's configure script even has a flag to set the license mode
to like "GPL only"... or something similar.