[arch-dev-public] Divide and Konquer - Splitting KDE packages

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 20:00:07 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> In addition to this we'll need to update our devtools and db-scripts to handle
> those packages right. extrapkg should be quite simple; archrelease and repo-
> add should work just fine; only the db-scripts will really fail because they
> cannot guess the svn-dir just from the package name anymore.

Hmmm, this one I will have to think about. The devtools changes should
be straightforward, but the db-scripts changes will not. Any ideas as
to how we can convert a packagename to an svn-dir name? I'd rather not
scan the whole repo...

> And last but not least: You might wonder why we not just include kdemod. I had
> a little talk with funkyou about this. KDEmod/Chakra has different goals and
> philosophy and is not really compatible with the Arch way. So they'd like to
> keep doing their own thing.

That's great. I love the kdemod guys - they have all the spirit and
spunk that satellite projects should have. Can we make sure we stay in
a... complementary mode, rather than try to compete with them? I don't
know if this would be doing anything that would step on their toes or
not, but it'd be really nice not to discourage them. I'm not a KDE
user, but I hear nothing but great things about kdemod