[arch-dev-public] Moonlight in ArchLinux?

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Fri Jan 23 14:11:36 EST 2009

Am Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:47:22 +0100
schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>:

> Daniel Isenmann schrieb:
> > Hi,
> >
> > there were a discussion on the arch-general list about why not
> > adding moonlight to the repo
> > (http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2009-January/003326.html).
> >
> > Now I want to discuss this topic further from a developer point of
> > view.
>
> First thought: I don't care. I have never come across anything that
> needs Silverlight/Moonlight.
>
> Second thought: If I ever come across a site that needs it, I'd be
> happy if it would be available with pacman -S moonlight.
>
> Third thought: I still don't care, and I won't until I come across
> the situation in my second thought.
>
> So if you want to maintain it, do it. If not, then don't.

In some way I don't care too. If you want to maintain then do it.

But I see no need to do this in our official extra repository. I
haven't come across one single website using it. So I see no reason for
an exception from our rules here. We should do what we do with all other
packages: put it into AUR and wait how important it will become. The
number of votes will be one point. An increasing number of websites
using it may be the other one.

-Andy