[arch-dev-public] remove pear from php package?

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon Jul 6 17:25:59 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 16:07 -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> I think I agree with James here. What about the people who WANT to use
> PEAR? I know there are some people who prefer easy_install for python.

What about CPAN? That's still included in the perl package also, that's
also a tool that installs perl software without pacman knowing about it.

I maintain some debian machines with php on it, sometimes I need a pear
module and just do "pear install <module I need>". I keep my pear
installation up2date using the pear tool. The fact that apt-get
overwrites them on every upgrade doesn't mean I don't use "pear
upgrade-all" after that.

IMHO a basic set of pear packages hould be included in the PHP package,
the rest can be managed by either pear, or if the user really insists on
it, pacman packages.