[arch-dev-public] Fixing Perl 5.10.0

Firmicus Firmicus at gmx.net
Thu Jul 9 15:03:17 EDT 2009

Sorry, I wrote a reply to this message on Tuesday, but as I had to run
to catch a train, I forgot to press "send". Just got back this afternoon...

K. Piche wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 14:53 +0200, Firmicus wrote:
>
>> I've sent the following message to Kevin a week ago, but since he has
>> not responded, I thought it was best to raise the issue on this list.
>>
>> <snip>
> Hi Firmicus.
>
> You sent it Friday and I don't check my mail every day, sorry.

No problem. I have a GD flu this week so my perception of time is
blurried ;)

> It is a big patch and there are no descriptions but I they must be
> fixing something or they wouldn't bother.  :)  At a minimum I think we
> should definitely fix the Unicode problem (13901) and the toke.c
> problem.  I have no objection to the whole patch though.  If you're
> confident the patched perl is OK then I say we go for it.

I have the same feeling. I'd be happy with a minimal patch, but I don't
have
objections against the whole thing, as long as it's well documented.

> The libperl.a/so problem (10971) needs to be fixed - I dropped the ball
> on that one.

Ok. This can be deferred.
> As for 13808, I don't recall what our stance is on FHS compliance.
> Ultimately the PATH's get added by a script so where the binaries live
> isn't a real issue.  We would need to rebuild the packages that have
> scripts or include the old perlbin PATH's during a migration period.

Same.
> Would you like me to build it or are you OK?

I'll do it tonight.