[arch-dev-public] Time to go forward with arch=any?

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sat Jul 18 16:01:44 EDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-07-18 at 21:51 +0200, Firmicus wrote:
> Aaron Griffin a écrit :
> > On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 1:08 AM, Firmicus<Firmicus at gmx.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I've just prepared pre-release packages of TeXLive 2009. They should be
> >> ready for release (upstream) within the next 4-8 weeks. Before that, I'd
> >> *really* love to benefit from arch=any. That would save considerable
> >> space on gerolde, as well as bandwidth, and would also speed up my task
> >> with building/uploading.
> >>
> >> Any prospect of making the transition to the new dbscripts soon? We
> >> could use the testing repo first to check that everything runs as expected.
> >>

> > OK, for testing purposes I've checked out the dbscripts HEAD in
> > /arch-new on gerolde. This has potential support for 'any' packages
> > AND split packages
> >
> > Please test them and let me know if there are any errors (I can fix
> > them, or you can send me a patch)
> >
> > I've created testing/os/any on gerolde (the others may error out
> > because of the missing dir).
> >
> > This should use symlinks so no one needs to update pacman.conf, correct?
> >

> Great, thanks for this Aaron. I'll upload a few "any" packages when I
> have a chance later tonight.

I will be happy to build packages using this stuff. Something on my todo
list for now:
- firefox-i18n is -any architecture
- mesa will be splitup in libgl, mesa and *-dri for every driver

This will ease packaging a lot. I don't have any motivation to change
the current driver packaging at this moment, but I've been amazed by the
stupidity I introduced when bundling 2D and 3D driver in one package.
Some packages have a very high pkgrel already because of rebuilds or
mesa updates.