[arch-dev-public] about splitting KDE (again)

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Mon Jun 8 11:36:54 EDT 2009

Hey guys,

as Andrea already told we will make kde-unstable a playground for how we could
implement splitted KDE packages.

I have started a draft page about that in out wiki
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Splitting_KDE. I also added
a short summary about the motivation.

Right now I have commited an initial set of PKGBUILDs to our repo. They are
created with the help of a script which reads the cmake file of a KDE source
package. I also added missing deps using namcap and some upstream
documentation.

It is still far from ready but a good start.  Once we have a working set of
PKGBUILDs some scripts and namcap rules should maintaing them quite easy.

KDE 4.3 will be released by end of july. Hopefully we'll have pacman 3.3
before that date. And until then we have some time to think about support for
splitted packages in our dev tools. (maybe its best to start a separate thread
for this)

I hope there will be no flamewar or anything else less productive started by
users. So I have added a pro/contra and a FaQ section to the wiki. Feel free
to tell us your oppinion or complains and I am sure we'll find a nice
solution.

Pierre

--

Pierre Schmitz