[arch-dev-public] [signoff] mkinitcpio 0.5.25, cryptsetup 1.0.6-3

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon Jun 8 17:57:51 EDT 2009

Eric Bélanger schrieb:
> I'm experience a small problem (it might be due to the changes you made.).
>
> On my i686 system with lvm, after the lvm group has been activated, I get a:
> "Waiting 10 seconds for device fe00" message. After the timeout, it says that
> "root device fe00 doesn't exits attempting to create it
> /bin/mknod /dev/root b 254 0"
>
> The booting continues successfully and everything seems to be working
> fine except I've noticed that I have a /dev/root symlink that points
> to a non-existing fe00 device. I don't know if this is expected
> because of the new poll_device function or if there's another problem
> elsewhere. BTW, this system use lilo in case it's related.

Ah, I didn't count on lilo ... lilo parses the block device id when you
run "lilo" and passes that as the root= argument (see /proc/cmdline).
That used to be necessary ages ago and apparently, it is still supported
by linux (and by klibc's parseblock tool).

However, it leads to problems with things like LVM, encryption and so
on: The major/minor numbers at "lilo" time are not guaranteed to be the
same on the next boot. The problem was already there before, you just
didn't notice (as was the /dev/root symlink problem). Now we just wait
until the device exists, which we cannot really check, as it is a real
device. I have two solutions for you:

1) (which I gave to people for a long time now) in lilo.conf:

Remove
root=/dev/....
and add
append="root=/dev/..." (or addappend=, see the lilo manpage)

That will circumvent lilo's deprecated build-time root-device id parsing
and simply pass the device to the kernel.

2) add rootdelay=0 as a parameter to your kernel commandline, that will
stop us from waiting so long.

Note that we will move away from klibc to uclibc soon, and also drop the
klibc parseblock and kinit tools - and I seriously doubt busybox's mount
command parses "fe00" as a major/minor number pair. We might add such
parsing for backwards compatibility, but personally, I think it's a
waste of time.