[arch-dev-public] Removing fam from [extra]

Ronald van Haren pressh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 10:14:35 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Allan McRae<allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to remove fam from [extra].  It is old, uses dnotify rather
> than the better inotify and does not build without lots of patches.  It
> seems the patches we do use create Arch specific issues with log file
> filling (FS#14623).  Finally, gamin does most of the job fam does but better
> and it is currently in the [community] repo.
>
> Any objections?  Also, should I bring gamin to [extra] as a replacement or
> leave it in [community]? I really do not care which....
>
> Allan

Every normal file manager should use inotify by itself and not depend
on fam/gamin for that. What fam adds is the ability to monitor remote
file systems IIRC, gamin does not add anything (of course it adds the
basic functionality to file managers which don't have inotify
support).

so -1 from me

Ronald