[arch-dev-public] [signoff] nfs-utils 1.2.0-1

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 00:02:50 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Tobias Powalowski<t.powa at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi guys,
> Based on nfs-utils from AUR we could support nfs4 rather easily.
>
> Major changes:
> - daemon scripts changed, nfslock and nfsd are dropped
> - nfs-common and nfs-server are introduced, both have their config files on
>  /etc/conf.d
>  nfs-common is intended to run on nfs clients + server
>  nfs-server is intended to run on nfs server
> - NFS4 is implemented
>
> please try and give feedback to make this one bullet proof
> thanks

This stuff should definitely get in a news item when it rolls out. It
is rather extensive changes as my existing NFS setup would have
completely busted without doing s/nfsd/nfs-server/,
s/portmap/rpcbind/, killing nfslock, etc. It should also be very
apparent what exact changes need to be made (I think I covered most of
them there).

For now, I am *not* signing off until we get an install message that
doesn't tell me a bunch of unnecessary stuff (how to set up NFSv4) and
does say "this is a rather big upgrade, you are going to have to
change things", and nothing more. And please set up the message to
only show once so I don't see this on the next nfs-utils version bump
(vercmp is your friend).

Thanks for doing this upgrade, it looks like this set of tools is a
bit more self-contained, robust, and supports nfs 3 and 4 quite well.

-Dan