[arch-dev-public] [announcement draft] New module-init-tools changes modprobe configuration file location

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Thu Jun 18 19:05:04 EDT 2009

Thomas Bächler wrote:
> The new module-init-tools 3.8 package changes the location of the
> configuration file: /etc/modprobe.conf is no longer read, instead
> /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf is used. Files without a .conf suffix in
> /etc/modprobe.d are ignored now.

I think that they are not ignored this release, but a warning gets
printed about them every time a module gets loaded.  So how about:

Warnings are now printed about files without a .conf suffix in
/etc/modprobe.d as these will no longer work with the next release.
This will generate a lot of output on bootup if .pacsave files are left
in this folder.